Town idea "Withywindle Valley"

Discussion in 'Worlds Chat' started by M. Peach, Feb 26, 2016.

1. M. Peach

M. Peach Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

I was told I probably should wait on this (because of my lack of experience and the plethora of new ideas already), but I have this idea for a town, so I will just present the idea and see how it goes from here...

Withywindle Valley is (to be) located in the extreme hills. It centers around a winding river bordered by willow trees (yes, willows), ferns and blue flowers. The River begins in a short waterfall coming off the downs, winds to a pool of lilies and then connects to the Brandywine River near an old inn. Some of the water from the pool flows down into deep underground caverns. The valley has gathered three unique cultures into a symbiotic union, the Withywindle Village, the Weathertop Heights, and Root Deep.

Withywindle Village- This is a quaint village of farming and fishing. Along the river are wooden docks for fishing and boating, moss covered shops, and quaint houses. The village also has may rich farms growing wheat, potatoes, carrots, pumpkins, and melons (maybe livestock in the future).

Weathertop Heights- Stone bridges span the mountain tops where the people of Weathertop live in sturdy houses and shops of stone and wood. These people are miners and crafters, priding themselves on the quality of their work.

Root Deep- This is a mysterious ravine, deep under the river where only the roots of the willows reach (and stairs of course) as well as a great waterfall from the lily pool of the Withywindle. The beauty of its colored rock formations is only matched by its mysterious plan life, including glowing tree mushrooms. The people living there are also mysterious, often potion makers and enchanters, and sometimes with houses as weird as themselves.

Other areas are...

The Barrow Downs-- This area is uninhabited. It has several ancient barrows surrounding a more current graveyard. It is said that on All Hallows Eve the the barrows open and terrible things walk about. No one goes there then (except the brave and adventurous).

Halfway Point-- A point above the Village, yet below Weathertop, that serves a community center and celebration place (and probably a spawn point). There is also a connection to the Root Deep (besides the stairs of course.

The Brandywine Inn-- It is an inn where the rivers meet, and a place for travellers to relax and enjoy its hospitality and beautiful gardens. (It is said that Old Man Willow is somewhere near, so watch out!)

Holidays
    There are many holidays and celebrations that draw the people together. There are (currently as more will be added when I can think of them)...

The Firefly Festival (July)- Lights appear in the sky during this month and people set off fireworks at random times; some from farms and houses, some from the bridges of Weathertop, some even underground it seems. At the end various boats with lights are sent down river.

The Harvest Moon (September-November)-- A celebration (mostly in the Village, but attended by others) of the harvest with food, and games, and feasts (and a hay maze).

Cometfall (December-January)- A comet appears in the sky and people celebrate with giving gifts, parties, special decorations, and wintery fun.

The Flower Festival (May)- A festival of flowers where bloom are grown, arranged, or artistically represented in many different ways.

Builders--
    Just me for now (M. Peach)

Counsellors (Some will need to specialize in each different area too, I suppose)--
    Only me for now (and I don't know how to either)

Funding--
    None, and I don't know how to do this either

Application--
    A long way away from being filed

• Like Like x 13
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. LuvianBlue

LuvianBlue Spider Matador Lifetime V.I.P.

I really like this town idea~ I love the names you've picked and the thought you've put into its layout and culture :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. M. Peach

Thank you. I'm really going to need a lot of advice with this... especially with the whole counsel idea. I'm only vaguely aware of what one does. I have lots of ideas, and can build well, but I'm new to Nerdcrafteria and town building. I've got enough of a glimpse of what goes on though to know that it's impossible for one person alone to do and that building a team is of great importance.

I looked at other threads to see what was going on with town build ideas and saw that there wasn't a whole lot (not that could be seen anyway). Also that the (seemingly) successful ones seemed to have people who were experienced and knew other people who had done these things before. That could just be my perception though. Is it really that hard to find people to be on town counsels and such?

4. Gloindin

Gloindin Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

It is not too difficult to find more experienced players to be on town councils and build teams. All that is required is to catch their eye with an awesome idea. I love this idea and would want to help with it. sadly i have other towns i am helping with and might not have time. The only big thing that is helpful with experienced players is that they can speak from experience, say this way of doing it did not work some other time.

5. M. Peach

I always liked your shop :) . It was just down the street from my house.
    I'm just wondering if, like you, most of the available experienced people are already busy (or maybe my idea isn't catchy enough, I could live with that).

6. LuvianBlue

LuvianBlue Spider Matador Lifetime V.I.P.

Give it some time~ :) Do up some concept builds for the town, or grab some reference images from google to show the sort of style you're going for (or do some concept sketches if you're so inclined/able, for some of the larger stuff if you don't think you can build it on your own). Your writeup is fantastic, but showing people visually what the sort of look/style you're going for will help a lot.

7. Theo da Kaffei

Theo da Kaffei Sign Stacker Staff Member Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

A town council has several jobs to do. In the beginning phase they are most likely the ones who are mostly responsible for the design and the development of the concept, like envisioning concept builds and writing the town lore. They also are the ones who advocate their town idea to other players to get them interested in contributing ideas, building skills and in the end to help them fund the whole thing.
    Towns also can and should have people who help the council build the thing after it is funded, since a town should get build fairly quickly after it is funded.
    The main thing that seperates the council members from the "mere" builders however are the responsibilities once the town has been created: The builders' job is mostly done at that point, but the council is responsible for keeping the town alive with new town builds, events, special decorations, (if necessary) expansions and (very important) making sure that people who file valid afk-reports have their plots exempted from the automatic plot reclaim.

A town idea needs to have 7 council members (including the founder/mayor), one of whom has to be a loremaster and be responsible for creating the town's backstory, its lore. The number of builders is not regulated, theoretically no builders are required for the town to get passed to the voting phase. Having a shortlist of people who are eager to help build the thing is very useful though.

My advice would be the same as Luvian's: Give it time :)
    Yes, many experienced players are invested in town ideas already. However several are not. And really, only a small part of the current playerbase has actual experience with creating a playertown; most I'd say are new to this. And there are also several players who are fairly new to the server working on towns. So don't throw the towel before you have really begun :)

And if you at some point decide that your current concept isn't working - that's totally fine! Rome wasn't build in one day. You always have the option to incorporate what you have learned along the way into your idea to make it more appealing. Look at the road to your town more as the Route 66 than the Daytona Speedway. It's a mid-to-long-term project, not a sprint.

This server has quite a bunch of helpful and creative players, so even if you don't get the team you wish for in the first weeks, look at other town ideas, ask questions.
    You'll get there :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Nodred

Nodred Potato Taster Nerdfighter

Two ways I have found (during my time with Emerald Falls and Drakerberg, which I personally think are both quite well on their way of passing the selection) that are a surefire way to get committed builders and councilmembers on your team:
    1: Build stuff. People want to see and feel what the town will be. Build some cool, inspiring things by yourself, and helpers will follow.
    2: Be pro-active in informing people about your town's existence. It requires a little bravery, but shout it out from the rooftop whenever you can, like "Hey, have you checked out Drakerberg yet? Vikings and Dragons galore! /ps visit sassstrid" (see what I did there? :pP)

An interesting theme, ideas, and buildings will also go a long way, but the key is to show people that you're gonna be on the winning team. Be confident your town is going to make it, and that people can contribute.

One more thing you might want to take in mind, when it seems as if most available players are already busy, is that as Emerald Falls and Drakerberg (which together have some 30 members) get built, shortly thereafter there will be more available builders since those towns are finished. I, for one, might just help on another town when Drakerberg is done.

I do like Withywindle Valley though I'd like to see where the theme is going, right now it feels a bit... general. I wonder how the three cultures would interact. I think that is what you should focus on for a theme, the interaction between three different ideas within one concept.
    Oh, if you want to see another town in a valley, I've been building one on my plot. It won't be a player town but you can take a look at /ps visit Nodred anyways. Maybe you find some inspiration.

9. M. Peach

WiVaSm.png

This is the proposed area (with the river and pool overlaid). The gravel and level stone areas will be made into spires or grass. There will be a woods below the pool (the Old Woods, with some mazing) and trees along the banks and possibly on mountain slopes as well. The Barrow downs will be at the head of the river, and Halfway Point will probably about half way down the river as well as half way up. I will color in the new areas and post the new map when it's done. This is just to get an idea of the overground area. (I wish there was some way to get a map of the underground here because I'm certain that there are natural caverns to work with.)

Here's some of the history (and a partial answer to how the three cultures work together, though I'm trying to be a bit realistic with that part. The cultures really will be the players.) ...

No one knows which of our three peoples came here first, though obviously none of us were here when the barrows were built. Who knows what people they were? There are many such mysteries. Each group claimed to be the first; the mages exploring the deep underground for secrets, the farmers and fishers following the rivers seeking rich soil and abundant fish, and the miners and builders coming over the mountains looking for rich ore. We all found what we were looking for here in this mysterious valley, and then we found each other. At first we feared the ones who were different from us, and even fought, but each group had something the others needed. The farmers, ranchers and fishers had food. The miners had tools of surpassing strength, as well as metal and ores. The mages had magic potions of all sorts, spider string, and even knew how to use bone meal to encourage plant growth. So commerce between our peoples brought us a peaceful coexistence, and understanding between us to this day is maintained by our many festivals that we share.

So you can see realistically the town will pretty much revolve around commerce (perhaps like a lot of other places) and multiple festival activities (which will probably make it all the harder for me to get together a town council because festivals are a lot of work). I want to try some unique ideas with the festivals, and some surprises as well.

10. LemonyGod

LemonyGod Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

This sounds like a really cool town and I would LOVE to join your council or build team or whatever you want me to do. While I don't have experience in building towns, or really building anything, I can take direction and learn well. It seems like there's been a good bit of thought put into this town and I'm really excited to see how it goes :D

11. M. Peach

I would love to have you. We'll see how others like it and who else will join.

12. Skeetter

Skeetter Potato Taster Lifetime V.I.P.

This idea sounds really cool. I think I might go tomorrow and check out the area you are thinking about building in. Would Root Deep have plots were players could build into the walls of a ravine?

13. M. Peach

Yes. I was thinking of making the environment of root deep with colored (and some glowstone and sea lantern) stalactites, stalagmites, and other rock formations common in real life caverns, along with glowing mushroom trees, and even some grass and plants, water too. It would of course be wider than natural minecraft ravines, and have floor plots and wall plots along with bridges, walkways, and "natural wonders".

14. Skeetter

Skeetter Potato Taster Lifetime V.I.P.

Very cool area. If you move forward with it I would like to help however I can.

15. JavaScript2901

JavaScript2901 Cave Explorer Nerdfighter

I really love this idea, I think you've fleshed out your concept really very well and I would definitely like to help.

16. M. Peach

Thanks!
    So that's LemonyGod, Skeetter, and JavaScript2901 who want to help.

I'm still learning how this whole town thing is done (mostly by helping as a builder with Emerald Falls) so it may be a while.

17. M. Peach

I was working on a bridge idea in single player (creative mode here is too small for large environments). I also started on mountain plot ideas, but didn't take pics. I like the way sea lanterns look with the snow and moon light.
    BridgeBSm.png BridgeFSm.png
    These mountains are a bit different from the ones in the selected area, so the bridges will be very long in most places. (I'll try to find, or make, a place to do a long bridge.) The following is an altered map to show possible added mountains and long bridges (and a bit more green), but I haven't added trees or other features to it yet. I hope the bridges are visible. They are only thin grey lines right now.
    TempMap.png
    Oh, I also found a zombie spawner in the area while I was exploring. It was interesting even though it does nothing.

18. Vega

Vega Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

I really dig the idea! I would very much be interested in being on the build team, I've been looking for a big collaborative project, and this sounds great!

19. M. Peach

Sorry for the lateness of this post but I was very busy last month.

Anyway...

Someone on a web comic I read mentioned Thaumcraft so I had to look it up. (Cool, but with a huge learning curve, and too many more monsters for my taste.) Anyway in that "barrow downs" are an actual biome so I got this pic. It really shows the kind of thing I was going after (minus the towers perhaps) though the insides of thaumcraft barrows were not what I was looking for (though understandable for the whole magic thing). I prefer burial chambers with armor (and lots of traps that let you fall into scary labyrinths... too bad there are no possible wraiths/ghosts/other scary things like that), and the doors to the barrows sealed except for special occasions.
    Barrow_outside.png
    Here are some mountain plots (no buildings on them), and more bridges (a long one with a central support). I realize that these mountains are a lot taller than the ones we are thinking of building on.
    PlotM.png Bridge2.png Walk2.png Walk3.png
    I really need to work on some river and cave stuff next. Oh, and here's a prospective banner (there seems to be a limit as to how many elements you can really use in a banner.)
    Banner.png
    LemonyGod, Skeetter, JavaScript2901, and Vega-

If you would like to get involved now you could start building some ideas of your own on plots you have in Creative. You could post pics, links, or warps to them here. (My creative plot is currently occupied with Emerald Falls stuff that I will take down when they're done with it.) Eventually we will have to make a Discord thread/thing for this, but for now posting here will generate interest.

There are three obstacles that we need to overcome (as I've seen from working with Emerald Falls)...

1. The first is to get a group together that will do this project, both a Counsel and a building crew. Emerald Falls has about 22 participating, 7 of which are Counsel members with one Mod Mentor. We may not need quite that many but a lot more than we currently have. (See Theo's post above for particulars on Counsel members.)

2. The application process. That takes a lot longer than you would think. After the application is properly filled out (and all visible builds that apply built in Creative) the Mods have to approve it. They may even have to have us explain things better than was written on the application. Approval is a huge obstacle to pass.

3. Financing is the last obstacle, but should be in place somewhat before last, because there is a time limit involved. If finances (I'm not sure of the exact amount) are not raised within the time limit (again I'm not sure how long, though I could find out) the town is a no-go.

So all three of these obstacles must be overcome for our town to be a reality. The town itself also has to be built within a time limit, but that is something that can easily be done if we have the other requirements met.

20. Theo da Kaffei

Theo da Kaffei Sign Stacker Staff Member Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

At the moment a town needs to raise 500,000 credits within 2 months. Once llama donations will be available for town funding there will be new guidlines for this, but best to plan with something in this general area for now.