Build the magic: Diametria

Discussion in 'Worlds Chat' started by TheLawnStink, Oct 20, 2017.

1. TheLawnStink

TheLawnStink Potato Taster Nerdfighter

[​IMG]

Two forces have forever been diametrically opposed, their energies edge one against another; the forces of light and arcane magic. So is the fate of Diametria stratified; separated by sun and Moon, dawn and dusk, up and down, black and white, light and arcane. Diametria, formed evident of the peace between the Violet Order of Warlocks and the Golden Templar Brotherhood, would become the nexus of their magical prowess. The Brotherhood’s light flowed along with the Order’s arcane energy for a fleeting time. Chaos soon ravaged the land, causing the great city to be torn at the seams between the two forces. No matter the effort, mixing opposing forms of magic would prove impossible without creating great voids of a lifeless gray.

In an act desperation, both warlocks and templars decided they must segment their city for the safety of all who live there, and so the light town of Athorage and the arcane town of Zenith were created from the ashes of what was once whole. All in Athorage would become Zenith's opposite. Flowers bloomed in the light, while Podzol and fungi flourished in dimness; the sun shining on Athorage, casting all but shadows on Zenith underneath. Alas, not even such division would save Diametria from eventually destruction, for the two sides are colliding into one another.

The two towns are destroying each other in their never ending pull. Athorage will fall into Zenith below. Zenith will violently crash into Athorage above. This process has begun the creation of a massive void where magic ceases to exist, and all is lifeless. In thousands of years, even the void shall collapse. Until then, this fragile city will be a testament to the opposing forces of the light and arcane.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diametria is my town concept which I have been heavily refining over the past while. Stylistically, I have fleshing out the different mood and tone of the Arcane side (Zenith). I am looking for anyone interested in a light/arcane magic-themed city as a member in my council. I have a lot of ideas, but would definitely loved some more creative hands in the process.

Currently active sub-projects in the town's demo build include:

-Zenith's stalactites
    [​IMG]
    These are attached to the obsidian sitting above Zenith. I have about 15% of them done.

-Landscaping and terraforming
    [​IMG]
    I have done a bit of this, but I don't want to keep the flat terrain, or just have it just be one material throughout. I have peppered some purpur craters throughout Zenith, and plan on adding a few more, but I'd really like to see what scenery others could build.

-A couple Athorage town builds
    [​IMG]
    Since the maximum number of town builds for a demo used in a town application is 5 and Diametria is split into two distinct sections, I have decided to have 2 builds for Zenith, 2 builds for Athorage, and the last build is the Tower of Knowledge (in the town's center). Town builds are always put in parallel positions, and the Zenith build always has an opposite Athorage equivalent in the same area with second. For example, if Zenith had a senior's center, There would be a nursery right above it in Athorage. I'd like someone to look at the existing Zenith builds and make opposite Athorage ones.

Anyone who wants to be part of this awesome town, send me a message in minecraft, on Discord, or here on the forums. And don't forget to go to creative and /warp zenith or /warp athorage

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  2. TheLawnStink

I should clarify that I am open to all help, not just the projects listed above. That's just the stuff I am working on. I want to make sure this isn't just a Lawn idea, but rather a Nerdcrafteria idea instead :)

3. TheLawnStink

Stalactite update!
    [​IMG]
    Still working on the lighting.

What does everyone think of the look of these? I Don't know if they should be 100% obsidian or a mixture of dark-colored or purple/magenta blocks. Let me know if I should do a mix. For now, there are purpur blocks here and there to help bring variety. Also, if you are ever bored and don't know what to do, stalactites! :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. TheLawnStink

So, I have a dilemma:

[​IMG]

I need ideas from you guys for landscaping Athorage (light magic side). Zenith too, but it's getting some nice decoration. All I have in Athorage is some flowers a tree, and a good color palette (Light blue, white, and gold). What other kinds of landscaping do you think would look good in a light magic district of a city?

5. TheLawnStink

I am currently working on a lot more lore, but for the time being, I wanted to share a contribution from Rosenfel last night. This is what Rosenfel built in Athorage and I quite like it:

[​IMG]

6. TheLawnStink

Some lore on Diametria's central tower:

The Tower of Minds is the central building in Diametria. It serves many purposes including, a means of passage between Athorage and Zenith, a magic-neutral support beam between the two sides, and a means to document human knowledge. It is the only major structure in the city built without magic, hence not eroding into the void.

The Templars built it to support a light magic district far above the dark magic district at ground level. They knew that the structure would never last if attempted to build it with magic, so they used materials far beyond Diametria’s soil. Even then, with the dark magical power growing in the lower city, getting anything from the outside in caused the item to take on a magical alignment.

A void was needed in the center of the city to prevent this. The Templars and warlocks came to the city’s center and cast spells in unison. Once the land where they struck with shadows and light turned grey, they ceased casting more magic. A small circle unaffected by light and dark had formed, and the tower could be built.

Since the tower of minds stands on top of void made on purpose, with an intentional point, size, and shape, magic does not pass through it, nor can the area affected grow. Had it been created with an unequal amount of either light or dark magic, or had the two magics not been synchronized to have fire at the same point and time, the resulting magic dead zone would gradually expand, much like the void growing between Zenith and Athorage, caused by light and dark forces constantly pushing against each other with increasing strength.

Due to the special anti-magic nature of the tower, it is the only means of passage between Zenith, the void, and Athorage, and acts as major communication vehicle between both the Violet Order and Golden Brotherhood. A common fixture is the shared facts and knowledge of the two sides from one another behind posted on the sides of the tower.

I am considering having a kind of index of lore entries (like a small glossary) about different aspects of the city and its related topics. This will include (but may not be limited to):

• The Violet Order
    • The Golden Brotherhood
    • The war the two sides had long ago
    • The nature of void

7. TheLawnStink

BirdyNerd has been recently helping with giving the edges of Athorage a bit of needed character. To give it a kind of floating island motif, we've been adding dirt cliff-like structure to. Thanks, Birdy :)

[​IMG]

8. M. Peach

M. Peach Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

I like the relative flatness of both top and bottom layers. It's very distinctly different from previous builds.
    One problem I've had with exploring some of the more massive builds (especially with the underground part of Scythian Peaks) is that slow chunk loading makes it really hard to navigate. (I got totally lost in the Scythian Peaks underground and was contemplating warping out when I stumbled upon an exit. I also kept falling down dark places where I didn't know there was an edge.) Drakerberg was better with clear paths and signs and surprisingly easy to follow land marks and landscapes. Just looking at that flatness here (and grid like structure) makes me feel like everything is easy to locate and I won't get lost. The organization is somehow comforting and exiting at the same time. I know that it will be far more massive than shown, and chunk loading will still be a problem, but I still like how it looks over all.

9. TheLawnStink

I would just quickly like to announce BirdyNerd has joined the Diametria council :) Welcome aboard, Birdy!

10. TheLawnStink

I am currently looking for anyone interested in joining the Diametria council. Since BirdyNerd has become a mod, it's just me now. If anyone is interested in the idea, please message me on the forums, in Discord, or in game if interested :)

11. M. Peach

M. Peach Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

At least I'm not the only one having trouble finding council members (I was getting worried there)... I wish you good fortune in your search! Each season brings new things, and maybe new people too.

12. TheLawnStink

I will persevere. Everyone I've shown Diametria to has been impressed. I've gotten constructive criticism, but those same people have told me they like the idea of the town.

13. TheLawnStink

Finally, I have a new update. This is the backstory of the Violet Order:

The Violet Order of Warlocks

The Violet Order of Warlocks (aka The Violet Order, or The Order) is a dark magic group based in Diametria. They formed hundreds of years ago by mages who ignored warnings from masters wizards to experiment beyond the accepted limits of their craft.

The first generations of the order aimed to use arcane magic in ways deemed unsafe or unfit, constantly pushing the limits of themselves and their environment. Their early work would wreak havoc on nature, causing forests to waste away, the earth to split beneath their feet, and rivers to dry to dust. Many early members left the order, fearing the powers they gained, but those who stayed involved would slowly learn to control their powers, and extend them further.

Sixth generation warlocks were often known to channel spirits, summon their own shadows as companions, and in some cases, raise undead minions. Despite a lack of evil intent, their powers would gain them infamy.

The Violet Order are often subject to suspicion, hatred, and violence for embracing the dark arts. Many groups have been responsible for such acts, but their greatest ever enemy was the Golden Brotherhood of Templars. Upon the siege of Zenith, the elders of the Violet Order, fearing they would all but perish by continuing their defensive strategy, declared war on the Brotherhood.

The war lasted forty years, ending with the Brotherhood eventually seeing the atrocities they had commit in vain. After coming to peace with the Order, out of sympathy, the would come to aid in the recovery of the Order’s home of Zenith, and learn of their true nature.

Above all else, the Order wishes to push the limits of their dark magic prowess, defying the conventional boundaries of magic. Often wishing they'd be left to themselves, they never intend to harm others with such pursuits.

Still very much looking for builders and council members. If a magic-oriented town interests you, please message me on the forums, in game, or on Discord.