Important Updates All Good Things

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Kelsey, Sep 4, 2018.

By Kelsey on Sep 4, 2018 at 6:19 PM
  1. Kelsey

Kelsey Professional Blanket Burrito Staff Member Head Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

At the start of this year, I made the tough decision that it would soon be time for my tenure on staff to end. Tomorrow will be my 5th year anniversary as a member of the Nerdcrafteria staff, and I have honored and cherished every second with you guys. But it was time to pass the torch and let someone else bring fresh ideas to the fold.

However, the more I thought about it - the more I knew I needed to address our decline in server activity directly with Hank and his team. I'm sure if you all have been around a couple of years you've noticed the drop in regular server activity we've had the past 3 years. It is my opinion that it would be irresponsible of me as the current Head Admin to hand this problem off to someone else and making it their problem. It didn’t feel right to me. So a few weeks ago, I did just that. I sent a long email to Hank and his team detailing our server trends going back 3-4 years, what I believed were the root causes, and several suggestions I had to get things to where they needed to be.

They responded - understandably so - that they no longer wanted to continue maintaining the server. Hank has personally moved onto other things, his gaming channel is no longer active, and his team does not have the resources to help us get more promotional time. Additionally, one of the main goals of the Nerdcrafteria server was to help bring in money for the Foundation to Decrease Worldsuck. Back in the heyday, we did just that. But at this point in time, we are costing them way more money to maintain than we give back.

I understand many will be upset be this. This is extremely difficult news to give. The staff and I are heartbroken. I know many of you have worked very hard on big events, unique plots, awesome player towns, organizations, and building amazing communities within the Nerdcrafteria family. Know that I love and value each and every one of you and your dedication to Nerdcrafteria. We are first and foremost a community. We are bigger than just the server. And I hope that continues.

We are planning for Monday, September 24th to be our last day. Celebrations are starting now. The Mini Games server will be open starting today. Go and explore Hogwarts, play Spleef, Snowbrawl and more! We are also moving forward with our Server Birthday plans - with an added touch of nostalgia for you guys. We hope you'll join us in sending this place off right.

Much love,
    The Staff of Nerdcrafteria

FAQs

1. Will there be a download available of the map?
    A: Yes! After we close, we will make the map available for download just like we did for the original map.

2. What about my creative plot?
    A: We will be making schematics of those available as well - along with instructions on how to install WorldEdit to use them.

3. Can I open my own Nerdfighter server?
    A: Absolutely. Hank and his team will be keeping the nerdcrafteria.com domain, but there's nothing stopping you from opening your own server. We would, however, discourage you from pasting in any old Nerdcrafteria maps to a new server due to plagiarism.

4. Can we start something else Nerdfighter/Nerdcrafteria related? I want to stay involved in the community?
    A: Yes! Please do. We all want to stay in touch and find new ways to be creative together.

5. Is the Discord sticking around?
    A: Yep. We will keep on any staff willing to help moderate it. We will also be looking to expand the channels and open it up to new sub-communities you guys create. The Tumblr blog will be around as well.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3

Comments

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Kelsey, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Nodred
      Nodred
      That's not right. That can't be right. We can reverse this. This is not happening.

Currently going through all five stages of grief at the same time, but disbelief is the biggest rn.
    2. hitman_unknown
      hitman_unknown
      I will miss all the people I have shared public mine/farm and main with over the years. I remember being invited years ago by DiamondsForEyes back when /main had a huge shop for everything floating at the centre.

Minecraft and specifically mc.NerdCrafteria has been a calm distraction and a stessfree lifeline for me over the years. a sanctuary I could turn to for hours on end to forget the troubles and stresses of work and life and just explore and build with a wonderful group of people.

The constant change in /mine, every month a new take on the usual ways of building the public things never got old for me. and just as you get used to the neighbourhood in /main a plot opens up, somebody moves in and a new build develops before you showing creativity you didn't expect.

Where shall we all go from here.

I am now a Discord user hitman_unknown#3703
      I will happily stay in touch with everyone.
    3. Tzaphqiel
      Tzaphqiel
      It is sad to hear, but also understandable.

I had wanted to try and make some other builds, write some more books for Nodred's library, and maybe even try to help make another player town, but that would have required more work than I could have put into the server.

I am glad to hear that there will be a map download (or two) to keep more memory's sake. I understand if chest contents will be wiped like they were for the old map download, and suggest that anyone who wants to keep some items available for other people to see perhaps keep them in dispensers/droppers/etc. (unless staff decides to try and wipe those as well).

In regard to this, I will try to finish up the OVG Museum as I am fairly close to filling it up (I have about 1-1.5 floors left and the exhibit guide to finish filling and copying). If nothing else, that and my Solara and Thistledown plots will be fully utilized by the end of the server (or as close to fully utilized as I can get them). I may also finish up on my attempt to write "plot explanation" books to put in dispensers so I can try to explain some of the features left in my plots. But that may have to be put on hold considering other obligations.

It has been a great ride with everyone, even if I've generally been quiet and secluded. Aside from resources that I'll use for finishing the museum, I'll be willing to share most every resource I have if anyone asks. I'll still be on Discord (as Tzaphqiel), of course, so feel free to talk to me if you want.
    4. dasqu314
      dasqu314
      I have no words for how I'm feeling honestly. Thank you Kelsey and the rest of the staff both current and former for all that you've done and to the truly and I can not over state this, kind, amazing, awesome people I've met on this server, this may be the end of the server on minecraft, but that does not have to be the end of our amazing community. DFTBA Y'all you truly have been awesome. :nvtown:
    5. dasqu314
      dasqu314
      I do have a question, will the forums stay online as well? That's not mentioned in the post.
    6. AnikaUtoa
      AnikaUtoa
      I feel like this is something that's been a long time coming.

A little backstory: I've been on this server for almost as long as its been open. I joined Nerdcrafteria on October 2nd, 2012, just a few weeks after the server went live. My first plot was in Green Hills (if anyone remembers the towering skyscrapers, mine was the little brick house near the town center that I never changed). I have had so many good and wonderful experiences thanks to the people on the server at that time.

I became a lifetime VIPer in November 2012. I was a moderator for a couple of months, from December 2012 until October 2013, when I stepped down due to personal reasons. I made so many friends on this server. Many of whom I never got the real names of, and never saw again after they left. I knew most of the early staff, not because they were staff, but because I nominated them to the positions while I was still a mod myself.

The server has been dying for a few years now. There is no denying that. Seeing the server now, and comparing it to everything that it was in the beginning, I knew, personally, that it was only a matter of time. There are many who are dedicated, who are passionate and who love the community and camaraderie that being here brings. But, as Kelsey said, all good things must come to an end.

I know that plans are already in the works to somehow host a new Nerdcrafteria server. And, If all goes well, this won't be goodbye. Not really. We still have Discord, and we all still have each other. given that my own life has become quite crazy as of late, I'm not sure if I personally will be able to keep up with starting a new server, but once one is created, know that I will be one of the first ones to join.

Until that time though, the people here will be forever in my heart, and I hope that the memories from their time here will stay with them forever.

~DFTBA
      ~AnikaUtoa
    7. Oranges13
      Oranges13
      Sad but I understand. I hope to stay in touch with you all!
    8. bfq_8
      bfq_8
      As someone who has also been a long time resident of the server, I'd have to agree with Tzaph and Anika that the end would be an eventuality for the server (however uncomfortable it would end up being) and that it was undeniably looking more and more likely as we entered into our sixth year on the server, that it'd be our last. I think the staff team have however, made the right call by choosing to end it while the good times last.

That being said, since joining on the 21st of June, 2013 (in the chaos of Hank having promoted the server in a video earlier that day), I'm glad to have been able to call this server home for five years and change, and for the undeniably large amount of memories I've made with everyone since that day.

I'm glad to have been able to get to know so many of you, both new and (very) old, and to have been part of so many memories, from TeamCanada to NERD (far too many iterations to count) to the RSA and the ICA, and so many more organizations in between. Every moment, from Jinx's treasure hunts (and the Great Flower Forest Dig-up) to jm's old map VIP plot community fishing hole to hide and seek at Hogwarts, is one that I will cherish for as long as I can remember. I'm also so thankful to everyone for the support shown to all the playertowns in the end, especially towards Nouveau Batiment and Drakerberg.

I guess I'll announce that as a final project on my part to try and finish all of my rebuilds, that I have been planning (for several months now) to put up a Statue of Liberty-esque monument in the NB sculpture garden as a (now final) thank you to everyone who has set foot on this server since day one and goodbye to everyone who has left over the years, whether I knew them or not.

Thanks Nerdcrafteria, and 'till next time,
      Bfq
      <3
    9. PerfectFlaw
      PerfectFlaw
      Heartbroken, but understanding.

I think many of us have felt this coming for a long while, as much as we wanted to cling to our happy corner of the internet. I am thankful to see that the discord will remain a place for us to support each other.

If anyone wants any help finishing builds, please let me know. I have built what I wanted to. I am more than happy to donate all of my free time over the next few weeks to getting your visions preserved on this server.

EM Team, past and present, you da best. :tinyheart::emtown: I am sad to see our creation be closed so soon, but I'm thankful for the joy it brought us and others.

I know I haven't been around much at all recently, but as others have expressed, just knowing this place was here has been an immense comfort to me. To all the wonderful friends I've made through this server, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. You all taught me so much about being a kinder, more patient person, and I am grateful for that.

DFTBA
      Flaw
    10. Joel
      Joel
      I certainly will miss going on to this server. I know I am one of the people that haven't been active with the exception of a summer or so, due to college. But, I always felt welcome on it amongst the friendly people online. I don't know how much time I'll be able to be on in the coming weeks, but I'll try to be on as much as possible and show some friends around as well. Thanks for the fun times, memories, and awesomeness! Also, I suppose I should try to be active in the Discord. :)

-Astro_Owl Note: o_O is o _ O without the spaces
    11. Cat0Nine
      Cat0Nine
      While I knew that the server was slowing down with regards to player activity, I didn't realize what that meant for the upkeep of it. I know servers like this cost money, but I figured there was enough. My calculations were wrong. I've enjoyed this server, because there was such a sense of community. So much today is a competition and it was nice to have a place based around cooperation. I've grown to appreciate the little quirks in different peoples' personalities. I'm socially awkward in real life, but on here I felt okay to be my weird self. I loved being a part of the birth of a new town. I was even privileged to be a member of the council for the great city of Nouveau Batiment. Thank you all for being so friendly. DFTBA
    12. biteland
      biteland
      I've been her since day 1 and while it is sad, it was also a long time coming, goodbye it has been fun
    13. CLyane
      CLyane
      I may resurrect my old So Long, Farewell, and Thanks for All the Fish build just for this. I'm grateful that we get to let the server go out with a bang at least! :)
    14. jmsaints12
      jmsaints12
      I... can't say I expected this. Ever since I first played almost six years ago, I've loved the server, and it's a shame to see it go. I'll never forget all of the fun times I had.

I'm not good with speeches.
      ~jm
    15. elenca
      elenca
      Probably a testament to how not plugged I am anymore that I saw this now lmao

It's been a long time since I logged on, but I honestly had great experiences on the server and as a member of the modteam. Meeting everyone at VidCon, doing the interior design for Hogwarts, designing floors for various parts of the map--I had a lot of fun and made many, many friends.

I'll try to be more active for these last 2 weeks. Y'all got me through high school, and now that I've graduated college I feel like I owe it to y'all, haha.

Best,
      elenca
    16. Horsefun
      Horsefun
      I am sad to see this great server leave. I understand though and feel bad for my contribution to its decline. That's what you get for growing up I guess, going from all the time in the world to build and explore to only having so many hours in the day.

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful experience and I am excited to see what comes next for Nerdfighteria in the realm of gaming (if any).

Love you all!
    17. Rusty
      Rusty
      Very sad to see the end. Thanks to all who have made this a welcoming place, and somewhere that age didn't matter.

It is unfortunate, but necessary. Too bad that the raising money part got so difficult.

Thanks also to Hank for sticking with this as long as he did!

I am looking forward to seeing what comes next ...

Rusty
    18. Patrick
      Patrick
      Flaw I am going to miss the server so much. I loved building EM with you. I know I got burnt out after it was all finished and kinda ghosted everyone. Life got crazy and Nerdcrafteria was low on my list. I miss the online community so much and I am sad to see go permanently. So many sad emotions right now. :(
    19. Miki
      Miki
      Only been here for 3 and a half years, and I'm still heart broken. This was the place I came to for some genuine nice, caring people in an online world full of liars and jerks. Going to hurt a lot to say goodbye to that, even though I've heard new things are being started. Endings are painful, and I'm sorry to be one of the players that never had time to play in this past year. :( I will miss this server very much. Thank you for all the memories and the escape it gave me.