Using the Forums
Using The Forums
A handy guide for those new to our forums.
Creating an account
To create an account on the forums, you will first need to click the Register button at the top of the page, or go to nerdcrafteria.com/register.
You will then see a form to fill out that includes the following details:
After you have filled in all the details you will be asked a verification question. Most of these questions are common knowledge in the Nerdfighter community, and easy to look up via Google. This is put in place to prevent spammers and bots from joining the forums.
- Name - This will be your username, and will be shown with your messages. You may use any name you wish, but we do recommend using your Minecraft username so people can easily recognize you. However, be aware that you cannot change it once it has been set.
- Email address - Please make sure this is a valid one, as this is where you get notifications, password resets if needed, and the rare server newsletter when we have major announcements.
- Password - enter the password you wish to use, and then enter it again in the "Confirm Password" section below it
- Gender - The options listed in this section are Male, Female, or Unspecified. Unfortunately these are default settings, though there is a field in the "Personal Details" section of your profile that will allow you to enter a gender you identify with, if you do not identify with either of the ones listed here.
- Date of birth
- Minecraft username - This is a required section, as it helps us to identify who you are on the server.
Once complete, please read through the Terms of Service & Rules, read through the Code of Conduct and then tick the box to confirm that you agree to them.
After that click Sign Up, and you should receive a confirmation email that will provide you with a link to click on in order to complete your registration.
Once you've logged in you should see a box on the left that has your username, and several icons.
Profile Picture & Signature
- CPANEL - This will open up options for you to edit your account settings.
- INBOX - This will light up green, and have a number next to it, whenever you receive new personal messages.
- ALERTS - This will light up green whenever you get a notification (such as when you receive a like on a post, or someone comments on a watched thread, etc)
- LOG OUT - If you wish to log out of your account, simply click this button.
Now for the fun stuff!
After creating an account the first thing you'll want to do, of course, is personalize it and make it yours. You can do this by changing your profile picture and signature.
To change your Profile Picture
1. Click on the CPANEL icon.
2. Click the image in the "Avatar" section.
3. Click the "Choose File" button, and select the image you want to use. (note It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 200x200 pixels)
4. Once you have uploaded the image click Okay.
To create a signature.
Before creating a signature there are a few guidelines to keep in mind.
To create a signature start by clicking on the CPANEL icon. Then, under the Settings section on the left of the page you will find the link labelled signatures.
This will bring you to a text box area where you can write and edit text, and upload an image, to create your own unique signature.
Gifs are allowed in signatures, as long as they are not too large or flashy.
Once you are happy with the changes made you can click the preview button to see how it will look, and the Save Changes button to save it.
Note: All images and information used in profile pictures & signatures must be PG-13 and comply with the Code Of Conduct.
Rankings & Trophies
You may see things such as "Cobble Hoarder" or "Pig Jockey" under peoples usernames. These are Titles and they are unlocked through trophy points gained by posting on the forums and receiving likes on posts.
In addition to this you will see that staff members and Lifetime VIPs have additional Ranks added on. For Lifetime VIPs this is given when you donate for Lifetime VIP.
'New Posts' feature
At the top of the homepage you will see a link labelled "New Posts".
The New Posts feature shows you all the forum posts and comments that you have not read. It will also separate whats unread since the last time you logged in so that you can see what has changed since the last time you were on the forums.
To remove all posts from your unread list you can select the "Mark Forums as Read" link on the left of the page.
Messaging & PM-ing someone
You can message someone on the forums in one of the two following ways:
To send a private message start by mousing over the inbox icon, and then click on the "Create a new conversation" link.
- Pubically - by visiting their profile page and writing something on it.
- Privately - by sending them a private message.
In the participant field you can type the name, or names of the people you would like to message.
Note: you can only select up to 8 people at a time in a single conversation (15 for Lifetime VIPs)
Then, in the area marked Conversation title you can enter the title of your private message (like the subject line of an email)
And finally, the message box. Under the title is a text box where you can create your message. Once you're done you can send it by clicking "Start a Conversation" at the bottom of the page.
Private messages cannot be edited once sent, although posts on forum threads can within 15 minutes of posting. (30 minutes for Lifetime VIPs)
Moderators and other members of Staff are able to issue warnings to posts that break the rules. Too many warnings in a short period of time can result in a temporary, or in some cases permanent, ban.
The number one cause of warnings is currently "necroposting", where someone will post on a thread that hasn't had a response in a significant amount of time, but anything that violates our Code of Conduct can and will be punished accordingly.
Want to express how you feel about a post?
Well with the rating system this is easy to do.
Each post will give you an array of rating options. Do you think something is funny, informative, or useful? Well these are just a few of the options available for you use.
Disagree with something? Feel a post has bad spelling? Negative ratings like this are also available although it is advised that you also use your words to express these feelings, and give context to the ratings you give.
Shortcut Link: http://dftba.us/ncforums
Edited by: squiggletag
Like this page? Want to help out? Read about Submitting to the Wiki