Town idea "Withywindle Valley"

Discussion in 'Worlds Chat' started by M. Peach, Feb 26, 2016.

1. M. Peach

M. Peach Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

Wonders of Withywindle Valley continued...
    If you follow The Withywindle a little ways from the Elemental Falls you come to the Twin Trees area, named for two huge conifers that dominate this part of the valley. (Map location 3b and 3.)
    MapLocations2.png FollowRiverP.png
    First off you come to a Wonder of stone that sits where the River bends, where the sun shines down through the hole in it's center.
    MM1P.png MM2.png MM3.png MM4P.png MMRP.png
    Across from the Wonder at the river's first bend is the Twin Trees area proper. All along that ridge are mountain plots, and the second of the farm areas nearest the Elemental Falls. Directly past the trees is a small canyon that has a mountain bridge over it and a small stream that trickles into a waterfall to the Brandywine below. This area also overlooks the Old Forest.
    TwinTrees.png TwinTreesRavineP.png

2. M. Peach

Since I haven't had any replies of any sort in regards to this idea (not even in private messages) since Lemony God left... and since I have a full time job, in West Africa, where the internet is spotty... (and since I was never very good at promoting in the first place), I'm going to assume that this idea is pretty dead. If anyone wants to revive it, use it, or whatever it's here. I'm still around too (and have all the information pretty much saved), but not very often.

3. LemonyGod

LemonyGod Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

The stuff for it on my creative plot has been cleared off to make room for other things. It really is a great idea, hopefully someone can pick this up.

4. M. Peach

I am unexpectedly back, and with as much time and internet as before... I still have the problem of support for this idea. Are there any suggestions?
    I'm willing to work with whatever I can, otherwise it's still a dead idea.

5. Nodred

Nodred Potato Taster Nerdfighter

I was writing a post for this since you asked for advice, but then thought it may be valuable to make a whole new forum post with my tips and experiences from player towns... Yeah. I'll do that and let you know once it's done, anyways...

One thing Withywindle-specific is that you might be able to combine the idea of a valley with rustic buildings with some other town concept on the server. Diametria, whilst completely different in style, wanted to build in a valley. Oak's Hollow would work with forests and has some Halloween-specific themes already planned. Cad Goddue... I've not heard from Cad Goddue in a long time?
    Anyways, my point is that from my understanding Withywindle Valley could work together with another town concept pretty well, but perhaps I understand that may be difficult.

Also post-Drakerberg I may find that I miss the townbuilding (though chances of that happening I estimate at 6% now) and you may be able to gather some enthousiastic builders from the Drakerberg crew? I don't know.

Fact is that in this post I talk a lot about factors I can not control. But I hope I can help you somehow. Either way, what you need is nerds to help you.

6. MaFer

MaFer Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

Wow, I like this town idea. I'm already involved in another town project, but if this is not a problem, M. Peach I could help you as a builder (because I don't know much what a council member do ^^'').

7. M. Peach

I would love for you to help! I'm not turning any help away. We're not at the building stage, except in creative, because we need way more support before we ever get there. I still think it's a good idea, and maybe I will look to combining with some other group... Oak's Hollow is a good suggestion, either for across the river or better yet combining with the underground and heavily foresting the southeastern portion. I'll look into that too.

8. M. Peach

As for what council members do... they usually come up with ideas for town builds, competition, and various things for advertising the town and building community. In Withywindle Valley the council members are responsible for seasonal decorations and festival activities for their area. There should be two councillors for each area; two Sages for Root Deep, two Bergmeisters for Weathertop, two Aldermen for the Valley, and one Chancellor (Mayor); to coordinate the activities for each season.( In addition we will probably need the services of an accomplished redstone technician to keep the seasonal mazes and traps running, and design them in the first place.) Council members will get a lot of building in with putting up and taking down of seasonal decorations and event places.

9. MaFer

Yes, combining groups could help to get more people involved. For now, I'll have a look of what you have done, to get an idea of what you want in the town. Are the town buildings in your creative plot?

(oh, and thanks for explain what a council member do ^^)

10. M. Peach

There is only a minimal amount of building on my creative plot. (Due to the difficulty of reproducing the extreme hills in the first place.) I have a lot of building ideas and examples posted in this thread though. I did a lot of work in single player because I didn't have to build the terrain first. I've also been gone/busy for a good number of months where I really couldn't do much beyond keeping my town plots from being reclaimed. What's on my plot is a replica of Halfway Point (with an unbuilt elevator, because of lack of redstone skills) and stairs leading underground. I ran into a roadblock with the underground because it looks like dynamite can't be used in creative. (You ever try to hollow out a huge cavern with just a pick?) Also the creative plot was way too small to replicate what actually exists in the extreme hills area I want to build in. That area is really amazing, with lots of natural features I want to work with! There are a few new mountains (as well as the river itself) that will need to be constructed, but most of it is really well suited for the idea (as I showed in this thread).

There is also some leftover stuff built on my plot. I could add you If you want. I can't even remember how many people I've added, between this and the Emerald Falls group that I was working with to create the mountain top (which was erased from there since it was moved to Emerald Falls).

11. M. Peach

It looks like Oak's Hollow will join with us... I hope we can build something really good together!

12. MaFer

That's good :D
    Speaking of build, as soon as I finish the city to Skyblock contest, I can start to create something in my creative plot.

13. M. Peach

Go for it! Pick anything in the thread that interests you and build something for it.

14. M. Peach

New Lore of Withywindle Valley & Oak's Hollow (Prospective)

No one knows which of our peoples came here first, though obviously none of us were here when the barrows were built, or the ruined towers that crown the Elemental Falls were raised. Who knows what people they were? There are many such mysteries. Each people group claims to be the first; the mages exploring the deep underground for secrets, the farmers and fishers following the rivers seeking rich soil and abundant fish, and the miners and builders coming over the mountains looking for rich ore, even the Acadamie of Oak's Hollow. We all found what we were looking for here in this mysterious valley and it's surrounding environs, and then we found each other. At first we feared the ones who were different from us, and even fought, but each group had something the others needed. The farmers, ranchers and fishers had food. The miners had tools of surpassing strength, as well as metal and ores. The mages had magic potions of all sorts, spider string, and even knew how to use bone meal to encourage plant growth. So commerce between our peoples brings us a peaceful coexistence, and the understanding between us is, to this day, maintained by the many festivals that we share. Still, each group has their unique story...

The Mages-
    There is an interesting pillared formation, rather like a table, that stands overlooking both the Brandywine River and the Old Forest where the Withywindle flows into the Brandywine. On top of the formation stands a lone birch of odd proportions. The people of Root Deep say that this was the place where they first entered the Valley, and went down into Root Deep. Even now it is an important entrance to the fantastically beautiful underground caverns where they live. The mages and alchemists originally came from a dark forest across the Brandywine, though no signs of their origins are left, and were driven out of their homes by giant spiders. Crossing the Brandywine they sensed the malevolent magic of the Old Forest and decided to pass by the forest and entered the Wonder I have just described. Out of their thirst for knowledge, and desire for safety, they traveled into the underground and found the caverns of Root Deep where they settled.

The Acadamie and Oak's Hollow-
    The people of the Acadamie and Oak's Hollow were quite similar to the mages (some may even be related) but their coming to our land is quite different and has behind it a rather romantic story...

In an age long since forgotten, there was a great warrior, in a great battle, over a great kingdom. This warrior fought from his massive black war horse and slew all who came before him, yet he was not invincible. During the largest battle, an enemy soldier crept up behind him and beheaded him. The warrior was powerful in spirit and body, so as darkness fell and the moon rose he climbed back aboard his charger and galloped off into the night. Throughout the war, there were whispers of a massive black horse and its headless rider charging through the battles as they lasted late into the night, slaying all that were touched. Despite the efforts of the headless warrior the war was eventually lost. He had lost so much in that battle that the headless warrior began to seek vengeance on those who had taken from him and his people. He wreaked supernatural havoc on all those he could find from the opposing side, and this became his mission in after-life for well over three hundred years. His hunting and haunting slowed as he became filled with a deep sense of loneliness and loss, however, so he began haunting a crossroads in the hopes that someone to keep him company would come along.

One day, a witch named ______ wandered across the crossroads and then a short time later returned to cross it again. Thinking that she must be lost, the warrior wanted to step out and help her find her way, but he was worried that she would be afraid of him and flee, leaving him alone. So instead, he waited behind a row of trees, and watched. The witch knelt in the center of the crossroads, drew some symbols in the dusty earth, then began to chant. Soon, four lines appeared like a compass around her, with the one to her right glowing brighter than all of them. She examined the marks, then ceased the spell and the lines at the crossroads instantly went dim. Standing, she turned to the right, away from the warrior. Afraid that she would leave, and he would forever be alone, he started to call out to her, but then she spoke.

“I know you’re there, headless one.” she called “You needn’t be afraid. I’ve seen things far scarier than you in my day.”

He stepped from behind the grove of trees, taken aback by her strength of magic and character. She turned towards him, her long silvery hair dancing over her robes of deep mauve.

“Would you like to walk with me, warrior? It seems we both could use some company.”

He joined her on the path and both set out in the direction indicated by the strange glowing marks. As they journeyed across the land, they learned more and more about each other, and began to fall in love. Eventually they grew weary of their wandering, and wanted to settle down. The witch, growing old in her years, wanted to establish a way to pass on the abundance of knowledge on the magical arts she had gathered in her time on this planet, and the warrior wanted in some way to protect this school, to allow people and creatures of all types to learn and train in peace. During their travels, they came across the perfect location for this school - an ancient ruined castle surrounded by mountains, overlooking a valley of oak trees. Beneath the castle was great magic. The witch soon founded The Academie, a school for any who wished to learn the academic and magical arts she held so dear. She taught students things like Herbology, Astronomy, Divination and Animation, as well as many other subjects. A large portion of these students trained to become war-mages and protect their fellow students, as well as friends and family. The warrior founded the Riders, a guild for those less magically inclined. With the help of ents created by the witches, he trained a cavalry to protect the school and town that was beginning to spring up around it.

Over many years, their project flourished in ways they could not have imagined, with magical and mundane creatures flocking from near and far to settle in the safety of the Academie’s shadow. Eventually there were so many students and trainees that the Academie buildings could not support them alone, and so the town of Oak's Hollow was founded. Originally tucked into the caverns beneath the Academie, it could be easily protected from hunters and other ill-meaning adventurers who may come across the school. Many chose to settle aboveground as well, building a wall of magic in the oaks surrounding the town to keep themselves safe. The witch peacefully passed one day, and her students filled her shoes at the Academie teaching and training all of the eager new students in the way they had been instructed. The warrior, too, faded from existence, standing guard over the witch’s grave, and only returning to the town on All Hallow’s Eve. Despite their absence, however, the town grew ever larger, and became a safe haven for anyone who was hunted by those outside the land.

The Farmers and Fishers-
    The farmers and fishermen were a more simple folk who had undertaken a long boat journey up the Brandywine on a flotilla of small rowboats, with their seed and farm animals, to look for new lands to farm. After rowing between soggy looking birch forests and foreboding dark woodlands they came to the outlet of the Withywindle. At that point the scouts that they had sent ahead returned and reported that the lands further to the north were frozen and unsuitable for farming, so they took their chances. Avoiding the Old Forest by staying to the river they went up, past the River Daughter's Lake, and into the valley. There they established their farms, docks, and settlements. Perhaps there is magic in the Withywindle, magic that flows from the Elemental Falls down to the lake of the River Daughter (where it is said that some can see her on a misty morning) and from there even to Root Deep through a small waterfall and underground river, a magic that keeps the people of the Withywindle Valley safe from harm.

The Miners and Craftsmen-
    The miners and crafters came from across the Eastern Sea. They were a part of a seafaring group seeking a new land (some say that there were even dragons among them) that became separated from the main group in a storm. Their longboats washed up on the western shore of a small bay that lies between the mountain lands and the deep forests southeast of the Withywindle Valley. From there they went high into the mountains, and built fortress homes against the monsters that roamed the wilder lands. Later they spread out across the mountains of the Withywindle Valley and built highways from mountain top to mountain top. The closer they were to the river though, the less they fortified their dwellings against monsters. Even so, to this day, they keep all their ways well lit, as light ever had a way of deterring the dark.

Eventually the three peoples encountered each other, and their encounters were not good. Miners dug deep into Root Deep and even stole from the mages and alchemists. They also stole food from the farmers and fishers, sometimes at sword point, and trampled across their lands. The farmers often broke up the miners and crafters work and stopped up the exits of the mages and alchemists, even setting traps and pitfalls to snare them, and stealing the weapons, tools, materials and potions from their victims. The mages and alchemists also stole from the others and wrecked havoc of their own sort. War was about to break out.

The Peoples Meet-
    Eventually the three peoples of the Valley proper encountered each other, and their encounters were not good. Miners dug deep into Root Deep and even stole from the mages and alchemists. They also stole food from the farmers and fishers, sometimes at sword point, and trampled across their lands. The farmers often broke up the miners and crafters work and stopped up the exits of the mages and alchemists, even setting traps and pitfalls to snare them, and stealing the weapons, tools, materials and potions from their victims. The mages and alchemists also stole from the others and wrecked havoc of their own sort. Oak's Hollow and the Acadamie isolated themselves with their own protections. In the Valley though war was about to break out.

On the last night of October, when the magic of the river is at it's weakest and the talk of war was at its height (perhaps further weakening the magic), the whole land was invaded by monsters, walking trees and strangling vines, wraiths, skeletons, zombies, spiders, endermen, and witches, then the nine- the Nazgul -creatures from the people of the distant past, rode through the land on black horses wreaking havoc. Even Oak's Hollow was hard pressed, with the headless warrior appearing as he had not for as long as people could remember. All of the people of the land had to band together to fight off the dark creatures and restore the protective magic. The fight lasted all the way until the comet came, the light of mid-winter, and lit up the land from end to end. Cometfall had come, and with it good will drove out the darkness. The peoples of Withywindle Valley and Oak's Hollow survived, and shared everything in common to make it through that rough winter until spring came again. After that the people established the Council of Seven (two councilors from each group and one chosen leader as the chairman) to rule over affairs of the Withywindle Valley, decide disputes, and bring the people together each year through seasonal fairs and festivals at the newly built Halfway Point and other locations. Resources were shared in fair commerce through shops, and the people returned to their own cultures and dwelling places, curiously united even in their differences. It's not unusual now to see miners that enjoy boating and fishing, or mages that farm underground somehow, farmers that enjoy a bit of alchemy or crafting, or teachers from the Academie running small schools; and the shops carry a variety of goods (even from far off lands). People of Weathertop still say they love the scenic view and bracing winds of the high mountains, as those of the River Valley say they love the solid ground and the babble of the river best, and those of Root Deep say the mystery and majesty of the depths of the earth speaks most dearly to them, while the people of Oak's Hollow love the Academie and the traditions that were established in their past. We don't always understand each other, and we don't always agree, but we are one people and we are proud of the homeland we have made. Our greatest wish is to have others visit our land and be breathless with amazement at the natural Wonders we have found, and the wonders we have made of ourselves and our land.

15. Dr. Parnassus

Dr. Parnassus Tree Puncher Lifetime V.I.P.

Wow. This sounds really cool and well thought out. From one lore master to another, keep up the good work!

16. M. Peach

MaFer is gone... It looks like both Oak's Hollow and Wythywindel Valley are going to need more volunteers (of the serious kind) if this idea is going to go anywhere. I think there are plenty of temporary builders out there who have worked on other projects to actually get this built, but very few who want to stick with this, promote and make creative builds for it, and to serve as council members... very, very few.