Town idea "Withywindle Valley"

Discussion in 'Worlds Chat' started by M. Peach, Feb 26, 2016.

1. LemonyGod

LemonyGod Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

if you all would like to use my creative plot to set this up you're welcome to, but there will have to be some demolition work on my old town idea before we set up. I can add whoever has hopped on board so far :p

2. tomsk31

tomsk31 Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

Epic idea! I would help but I'm already on a build team. Also, I'm not a very good builder!

3. wynterwillow

wynterwillow Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

Hello. I would like to help when I can. I'm good at building and I really love how fleshed out your idea is already without having built much yet.

4. M. Peach

M. Peach Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

Thanks. We can use the help. I'm also on a build team right now (Emerald Falls, which is currently in their fund raising stage), but I'm working on ideas for this too (currently having a blast, literally, in single player while developing a cavern system -it seems to work better with massive amounts of dynamite and fine tuning with a diamond pickaxe- and the results are not really able to be duplicated on the creative plots because of their uniformity).

At this point we need to get people who are committed to the Counsel and others who will join as builders at least for the time it takes to actually build when the time comes. People on the Counsel will have a long term responsibility to Withywindle, while builders are free to work on multiple projects. Frankly, Emerald Falls will probably be completed long before we get to the application stage, if they get all of their funding soon. Others, like Drakenburg (which could have been our neighbor) have not passed the application process. So this really is a long process. I thank those of you who have expressed interest.

For those who want to start in creative... mountain building is a good place to start (since we will need to add a few mountains anyway) with sample plots and actual houses on those plots. Those houses could range from mini castles and towers to houses kind of like these...
    61ca6b8f70b4bd9f81f5dd243dae5d96.jpg 61906a308910bde83be046fa1d0fba1e.jpg
    I'll get a bit more of my ideas regarding river farms and shops fleshed out later, and I'm still exploring cavern making, though I do have some definite ideas about those too. I might post some of the reference pics for caverns later on this week with some of my findings about the technical aspects of making the Root Deep caverns, like the fact that dynamite is the quickest way to expand spaces, but that natural cavern making has interesting quirks that we should take advantage of in making the actual build. Unlike the river and farms, or even the bridges and mountain plots, Root Deep is something that will have to be done without completely planning in advance. The natural underground terrain is a complete unknown and may have some very interesting features we want to keep.

I just found out from the wiki that you can make a /modreq for your creative plot to be set to a specific biome, if that helps.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  5. LemonyGod

LemonyGod Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

As it happens, what's on my plot that would have to be demo'd is a poorly made mountain skeleton with some cave systems. I'm sure it could be adapted to whatever you need it for with Withywindle Valley along with a few other mountains thrown up around it. I'll be able to log on tomorrow to add people, I just need the usernames of who to add.

6. M. Peach

Took a look at your creative plot, LemonyGod, that mountain is huge! I think it's a good deal bigger that any in the terrain were looking at, though I could be mistaken. My user name is M_Peach, though I'm not sure I'd be doing anything there just yet. I want to see some of the things you guys might come up with. Anyway, the reason I suggested biome changes is that the undergound part of the current biome of the creative plots has pure rock, while the biome we will be building Withywindle (and especially Root Deep) in is a curious mixture of things. Creating that artificially isn't quite the same... I've been doing a lot of work with that recently in single player. I think I'll attempt a biome change on my plot when Emerald Falls is done.

Speaking of the process of town building... Part of the application process requires some finished builds in creative that are examples of what will be built in the town, so we need to keep that in mind too.

7. Gloindin

Gloindin Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

FYI Biome changes just affect the biome you are in not the terrain. so you can change the color of water or dirt but not make mountains.

8. M. Peach

Since you noticed and replied... How does this "biome change" work in creative. Does it erase anything built or not? does it affect the composition of what is underground or not? (Never heard of water changing color... O_O ) I was hoping it could make the subsoil blocks more random and less homogenous for the purpose of cavern making. So what does a "biome change" do? (I thought it meant changing your whole creative block into a different biome.)

9. Gloindin

Gloindin Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

The Biome change only affects the name of the biome you are in. If you are in a mesa biome oak looks a lot different and water looks a little darker. Biome to biome textures vary in little or big ways. The only reason to change biome is to get the specific texture for that biome.
    It does not affect any blocks.

10. Theo da Kaffei

Theo da Kaffei Sign Stacker Staff Member Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

11. M. Peach

Okay, so biome change in creative is relatively worthless. We'll have to duplicate the natural formations artificially for examples.

Anyway...
    Here are some of my inspiration pics for Root Deep. The color in some of them is artificial but I like the multi color effect. (Too many images. >_> I'll continue in a second post with the rest of what I have to say, but these are enough to go on as examples.)
    B05-2.jpg B2012-10-05_185944_3794817.jpg B2012-10-09_160555_3810915.jpg beautiful_underwater_caves_36.jpg EP-707059991.jpg&updated=201307021706&MaxW=800&maxH=800&updated=201307021706&noborder.jpeg Jiuxiang-Caves-in-Kunming.jpg ohio_caverns_by_vectorsigma101-d5s22ax.jpg Rt-66-Meramec-lights.jpg R.jpg reedflutecave.jpg

12. M. Peach

A natural crevasse and tunnel in Minecraft usually look like this... (way too small for Root Deep)
    2016-05-12_14.14.12bef.png 2016-05-12 befc.png
    So the natural (or even artificially dug) caves will have to be expanded with TNT.
    2016-05-12  beg Bom.png
    Once done so other interesting features (tunnels, caverns, waterfalls, pools, lava flows) will be revealed and then pickax work will begin so that features that we want to keep won't be destroyed. Other areas without features we want can still be blasted to make the large central cavern. Colored pillars and other colored rock formations can be made of colored baked clay by hand.
    2016-05-12 bil pillar.png
    "Natural" lighting can be achieved by glowstone stalactites and glowing "mushroom" trees. Various levels can even be connected by bridges that span the cavern or caverns, and grass blocks can be placed for an underground garden feel.
    2016-05-13_16.41.46.png 2016-05-13_15.45.18.png 2016-05-13_16.41.23.png
    I didn't place any plots in this single player build, but I think I'll stop here for the moment and work on the river valley and willow trees next. If any of you want to excavate build a cavern in Creative, go ahead and do so.
    Here is the Dynamap of the underground caverns and tunnels in our selected area. The most blank area looks like it's right under where our river will go, and will be the main cavern. I would really like to see as much of the surrounding natural tunnels and caverns hook up with the main cavern somehow (so they can be explored by inhabitants) with ladders and stepped stone for flightless travelling. Also I would like some of them to have external exits dug to various places outside the main build, for ease of exploration by players.
    Screenshot from 2016-05-16 09:56:44.png

13. M. Peach

Okay, I've pretty much been gone for a month, but I did do some things in single player (while in the hotel).
    Here are some plot ideas for underground (though the "mailbox" idea doesn't work well). I actually found another cavern and an abandoned mine while digging the plot out.
    1a 2016-06-06_18.41.43.png 1a 2016-06-06_18.42.02.png
    I worked mostly on the riverside, willow trees, docks, farm plots, riverside plots, and such. The actual river should really be about 10 or 11 blocks wide, much wider than the one here.
    Dock.png Plots.png Rapids.png Riverside.png Willow R.png
    We need to start building in creative. As soon as I can I will add your names to my creative plot too (please make sure I have your, what is it- user name? -not a nick name for me to add. Also, don't make mountains too high. Make them about the height of the mountains in the chosen area. Have underground caverns approximate natural ones. I will post more as we go. Also we need ideas for advertising (not too in-your-face right now). We probably need more people who will stick with this long term as a council, along with prospective builders and those who will finance this project.

14. M. Peach

I have added LemonyGod, Skeetter, and JavaScript2901 to my creative plot. (I don't think I have Vega's name right or something.)
    Just ignore the big mountain in the sky for now. It's a part of Emerald Falls... I don't know if it's still needed, but it's really too big for a quick take down anyway.

15. M. Peach

Festival ideas--
    *Boat races and fishing competitions for the Firefly Festival (in addition to general fireworks). Since boats are different now the floating lights may have to be done differently.
    *Dances (a dance competition) for the Flower Festival
    *Hay mazes for the Harvest Festival (that are "invaded" when everything generally spookifies for October- such things as the appearance of the Nine Riders, opening of the barrows, encroachment of the Old Woods and Old Man Willow-{lots of spooky music and haunted mazes}, and general hauntings. We will definitely need the services of a redstone maze builder for some of this, as well as volunteer "horsemen".)
    *Winter sports (in the field where mazes are built) for Comet Fall
    *Decorated booths during each holiday season, with advertising signs sponsored (for a fee) by various shops, in the "Halfway Point" (where the dances are also held). Maybe even a prize for the best booth design. (We would actually have to build anything that is in the town area but outside individually owned plots, but we could do it to the sponsor’s specifications.)

Also in the more modern grave yard I had planned to have sponsorable 2x2x? graves, decorated and labelled to people's specifications, for a fee, as well as small labelled (with flower vase) places in a mausoleum.

16. M. Peach

We really need more support, especially people who would be on the Town Council.
    We have to have people (7 in all) who will be dedicated to making this town a great place to live and visit, as well as help build as well as promote it at various stages. Please contact me if you're interested.

We also need builders. Those who can help now are needed to help make creative builds that people can visit to get a taste of what this town is all about. People who are busy now but want to help can work with us when it comes time to build the real thing. With the over all slowness of the whole process I'm pretty sure there won't be a lot of competition between towns at the building stage. We will probably see only one town being built at a time, so think about helping us out.

Please help Withywindle Valley become a reality!

17. M. Peach

Here is a sample idea of the spawn point, and festival center/dance floor, "Halfway Point".

This is a night picture and a day picture (built in single player) in a compass rose pattern with a central fountain. Sponsored, decorated, booths for festivals would be built in the acacia wood outer rim, and the whole thing would be partially inset into the mountains behind it. The front (west side) would have a connection to a small hill in front of it and stairs down to ground level, and possibly stairs on the sides up to the mountain tops and bridges that connect Weathertop Heights. The back (east side) would connect to stairs (and perhaps some kind of elevator) that go down to Root Deep. The river would flow underneath (and an existing tree would be under it too).
    2016-08-08_13.33.06.png 2016-08-08_13.44.38.png
    This is the area where the Halfway Point would be built.
    Bend.png SpawnArea.png
    (I'm going to attempt building something like this in creative, though the scale of creative builds is pretty small compared to the real thing.)

18. M. Peach

The Wonders of Withywindle Valley
    There are many natural Wonders in Withywindle Valley. Some are mystical as well as geologically impressive. I'm going to highlight a few.
    MapLocations.png
    One of the most important is Elemental Falls, a natural arch with both a lava flow and and waterfalls. Elemental Falls has (or rather will have) each of the elements present, earth, air, water, fire, ice, and plant life, and is the gateway between the river valley and the Barrow Downs as well as the source of the Withywindle. There is an ancient set of bridged towers and gardens on it's summit and Weathertop plots on either side of its mountain slopes. It is said that there are mystical powers at work in the Elemental Falls that keeps Withywindle Valley safe from the barrow wights of the barrows in the Downs.
    ElemFalls.png 2016-09-04_17.22.04.png 2016-09-01_16.02.00.png
    Next time I'll highlight a couple of other natural formations.

Please join us in supporting Withywindle Valley. We need builders and council members.

Confirmed Council Members-
    M. Peach
    LemonyGod
    Skeeter

Other-
    JavaScript2901
    Vega- Builder

Helpers (at least part time)-
    Winterwillow
    Gloindin
    Skyward Deviant

(Let me know if any of this information is incorrect.)

19. M. Peach

Since last time I highlighted the Elemental Falls, at the beginning of the Withywindle River, this time I will highlight an interesting formation at the end of the river, #4 a tabletop formation.
    MapLocations2.png
    This is an interesting pillared formation, rather like a table, that stands overlooking both the Brandywine River and the Old Forest where the Withywindle flows into the Brandywine. On top of the formation stands a lone birch of odd proportions.
    2016-09-10_14.34.27.png 2016-09-10_14.34.20.png 2016-09-10_14.35.00.png
    This formation is not only interesting in itself but for its history.
    2016-09-10_14.35.42.png 2016-09-10_14.36.39.png 1insideTT.png 2insideTT.png 2016-09-01_15.37.15.png 2016-09-01_15.36.52.png
    The people of Root Deep say that this was the place where they first entered the Valley, and went down into Root Deep. Even now (eventually) there is an important entrance to the underground caverns in that formation. The mages and alchemists originally came from a dark forest across the Brandywine, though no signs of their origins are left, and were driven out of their homes by giant spiders. Crossing the Brandywine they sensed the malevolent magic of the Old Forest and decided to pass by the forest and entered the Wonder I have just described. Out of their thirst for knowledge, and desire for safety, they travelled into the underground and found Root Deep.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  20. M. Peach

Some History
    Since I started in on some of our history with the last Wonder, I should go on to explain a little more. As was explained before there are three distinct people groups in our Valley, the miners and crafters of Weathertop, the farmers and fishermen of the River Valley, and the mages and alchemists of Root Deep. All three groups came from different places, by different means, and settled in different areas, so it's not known exactly who came here first.
    Mages.png Farmer.png miners.png
    As I said last time the mages and alchemists fled their forest home, crossed the Brandywine, and entered Root Deep from the tunnels of the tabletop Wonder.

The farmers and fishermen were a more simple folk who had undertaken a long boat journey up the Brandywine on a flotilla of small rowboats, with their seed and farm animals, to look for new lands to farm. After rowing between soggy looking birch forests and foreboding dark woodlands they came to the outlet of the Withywindle. At that point the scouts that they had sent on ahead returned and reported that the lands further to the north were frozen and unsuitable for farming, so they took their chances. Avoiding the Old Forest by staying to the river they went up the Withywindle, past the River Daughter's Lake, and into the valley. There they established their farms, docks, and settlements. Perhaps there is magic in the Withywindle River, magic that flows down from the Elemental Falls, on to the lake of the River Daughter (where it is said that some can see her on a misty morning on the little island named for her), and from there even down to Root Deep through a small waterfall and underground river, a magic that keeps the people of the Withywindle Valley safe from harm.

The miners and crafters came from far across the Eastern Sea. They were a part of a group seeking a new land that became separated in a storm. Their longboats washed up on the western shore of a small bay that lies between the mountain lands and the deep forests southeast of the Withywindle Valley. From there they went high into the mountains, and built fortress homes against the monsters that roamed the wilderlands. Later they spread out across the mountains of the Withywindle Valley and built highways from mountain top to mountain top. The closer they were to the river though, the less they fortified their dwellings against monsters. Even so, to this day, they keep all their ways well lit, as light ever had a way of deterring the dark.

Eventually the three peoples encountered each other, and their encounters were not good. Miners dug deep into Root Deep and even stole from the mages and alchemists. They also stole food from the farmers and fishers, sometimes at sword point, and trampled across their lands. The farmers often broke up the miners and crafters work and stopped up the exits of the mages and alchemists, even setting traps and pitfalls to snare them, and stealing weapons, tools, materials and potions from their victims. The mages and alchemists also stole from the others and wrecked havoc of their own sort. War was about to break out.

Fatefully, on the last night of October, when the magic of the river is at it's weakest and the talk of war then was at its height (perhaps further weakening the magic), the whole land was invaded by monsters, walking trees and strangling vines, wraiths, skeletons, zombies, spiders, endermen, and witches, even the zombie pig men of the nether world... then the nine -the Nazgul- rode through the land on black horses causing terror. The three peoples had to band together to fight off the dark creatures and restore the protective magic of the land. The fight lasted all the way until the comet came and lit up the land from end to end. Cometfall had come, and with it a good will that drove out the darkness. The three peoples survived, and shared everything in common to make it through that rough winter until spring came again. After that the people established the Council of Seven (two councilors from each group and one chosen leader as the chairman) to rule over the affairs of the Withywindle Valley, decide disputes, and bring the people together each year through seasonal fairs and festivals at the newly built Halfway Point, and other locations. Resources were shared in fair commerce through shops, and the people returned to their own cultures and dwelling places, curiously united even in their differences. It's not unusual now to see miners that enjoy boating and fishing, or mages that farm underground somehow, or farmers that enjoy a bit of alchemy or crafting, and shops carry a variety of goods (even from far off lands). People of Weathertop still say they love the scenic view and bracing winds of the high mountains, as those of the River Valley say they love the solid ground and the babble of the river best, and those of Root Deep say that the mystery and majesty of the depths of the earth speaks most dearly to them. We don't always understand each other, and we don't always agree, but we are one people and we are proud of the homeland we have made. Our greatest wish is to have others visit our land and be breathless with amazement at the natural Wonders we have found, and the wonders we have made of ourselves and our land.