Buycraft News Old Map Download

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Islid, Feb 21, 2016.

By Islid on Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM
  1. Islid

Islid Slime Trampolinist Nerdfighter

map.png

The old map snapshot has (finally) been uploaded properly, scrubbed, and placed up for download. Most of the extraneous data has been wiped out (player files, in particular, there were almost 200MB of them). The full map is ~210MB and the donation option will explain how to retrieve the map once you initiate it.

After a few days on Buycraft, we decided to simply make it a direct download link, so clicking that link in the news post will let you obtain it without even having to log into the server. If you still wish to donate to the server in exchange, consider sponsoring someone a vanity tag or a player head here or there. :)

Thank you, all, so much for the last 3 1/2 years of this server's awesome existence. It's been a wild ride, and by the looks of things we're just getting started. The new map is looking phenomenal, player numbers are up, and we're poised to really make an impact in the world unlike any other. Will you join us for the new season of Nerdcrafteria?

Sincerely, and with love,
    The Staff of Nerdcrafteria

P.S. - I know some of you (like myself) are numbers folks, and I took the liberty of extracting some block composition data from the map after finishing it up. If someone feels so inclined, maybe they could make a neat pie chart or something out of this? You guys know what to do. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 5

Comments

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Islid, Feb 21, 2016.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. Chris
      Chris
      I made the pie charts (cus I totally needed a distraction from thermodynamics HW)
      Obviously you won't be able to see them all unless you have the full spreadsheet, but just LOOK at all this air and stone!
      EDIT: Fixed the graphs to show highest to lowest
      upload_2016-2-21_22-41-41.png
      upload_2016-2-21_22-42-3.png
      upload_2016-2-21_22-42-33.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    2. Drazisil
      Drazisil
      About how long after the buycraft confirmation in game should it take for the link to be messaged? And what would happen if I somehow missed it? Buycraft tells me I need to wait when I try to rebuy.
    3. OhMagicalUnicornLord
      OhMagicalUnicornLord
      In my exploration of the map, I was horrified to discover a giant wooden building burning to the ground. I went to turn off fire spread, and it said I didn't have permission to use that command.
    4. Ellifaey
      Ellifaey
      When you open your game to LAN you can allow cheats. Then you can do /gamerule dofiretick false
    5. csh_vrw
      csh_vrw
      Was someone sleeping when the snapshot was taken? :p

Attached Files:

6. csh_vrw
      csh_vrw
      Wood popularity by type where measurable. Going to keep making a few that I think are interesting :)

Attached Files:

7. csh_vrw
      csh_vrw
      Glass by Colour & Potatoes by Age
      Glass by Colour.png Potatoes by Age.png
      Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    8. Tzaphqiel
      Tzaphqiel
      I don't have any graphics yet, but a cursory glance at the tables suggests that about a quarter of the blocks that are capable of receiving redstone power (assuming that the "powered" and "unpowered" tags are always associated with such a block) were powered at the time of the snapshot.
      Specifically, there were 30983 powerable blocks, with 7583 (24.5%) receiving power and 23400 (75.5%) not receiving power.
    9. LemonyGod
    10. Ducomors
      Ducomors
      Just gonna say this, warp codex my giant library VIP build contained more than 5% of all the bookshelves in the snapshot and a little less than 10% of the packed ice.

0.o wow.
      Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    11. tacky998
      tacky998
      Eh, I made one for all the wool
      (We used so little Magenta Wool)
      Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 3.30.06 PM.png
    12. OhMagicalUnicornLord
      OhMagicalUnicornLord
      Oh! Thank you! :D
    13. Islid
      Islid

I find this enormously telling. It shows that the vast majority of farms were going completely and totally unused, unharvested. Tsk tsk, wasting precious space and resources with those unnecessary growth ticks... :p
    14. Tzaphqiel
      Tzaphqiel
      I decided to further pursue that agricultural point Islid brought up from csh_vrw's charts, but with a few differences.
      First, I've also analyzed Carrots, Nether Wart, and Wheat. They exhibit the same basic characteristics, but I figured I'd include them regardless.
      Second, I used bar charts instead of pie charts because pie charts are terrible (source: Teaching elementary statistics courses at a university for two years in addition to spending seven years studying psychology and statistics). Specifically, pie charts can almost always (if not always) be changed to bar charts with no loss of information or interpretability.
      Third, I plotted the counts on a log-scale instead of a regular scale, mainly to make it possible to see all of the bars instead of seeing one bar and a bunch of line-like smudges where the other 7 bars should be. In order to interpret the plots, keep in mind that the y-axis is the basic logarithm of the count. That is, if you raised 10 to the power of the y-value for a bar, that will equal the raw count (so if the bar goes up to 2, then there was 10^2=100 of that block; if the bar goes up to 4, then there was 10^4=10,000 of that block). Another way to look at this is that a difference of 1 on the y scale (whether it is between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, or 3.5 and 4.5) means that the larger group is 10 times as large as the smaller group.

So, yeah, I hope that this helps.
      nerdagriculture.jpg
    15. Islid
      Islid

Logarithmic scales are so cheaty, anyone who isn't paying attention simply thinks there were only twice as many potatoes in the final growth tick as compared to the first, for example. I'm not sure why people consider them valid other than in niche applications where it's explicitly asked for, lol, since it just reeks of visual manipulation of data. :p
    16. Tzaphqiel
      Tzaphqiel
      Fair enough, but if you're reading a graph, you should be paying attention in the first place. :p
      As I said, I mainly did the log-count because it made the plot look like something other than a single bar next to 7 barely-visible plates.
      As for explicitly asking for something, using a log-transform on count data is a fairly good way to adjust skewed count data so that linear regression makes more sense (along the lines of Generalized Linear Models for Poisson-distributed data instead of Gaussian/Normal-distributed data). Otherwise, I've mainly used log-transforms to make more sense of Bayes Factors and other odds information. It's much easier to see that 1:10 odds and 10:1 odds are changes of equal magnitude when you see them as -1 and +1, respectively.
      And, of course, at least bar charts still make sense with log-transformed data, unlike pie charts. :p
    17. Islid
      Islid

Jeez, man, it's just some simple counts of growth ticks, not the latest polling data out of Nevada. o_O
    18. Tzaphqiel
      Tzaphqiel
      Sorry. I'm finishing a Master's in Statistics (and about to inquire about Census positions) and spent much of my time studying Psychology working on mathematical models of human memory, including generating a large number of graphs. I'm kind of invested in this stuff.
    19. Skeetter
      Skeetter
      Yeah, the Weasley's house next to spawn doesn't last long. Its the bookshelves directly above the fireplace on the ground floor that start it.
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.