Ask the Staff 2.0!

Discussion in 'Player Advice & Discussions' started by verykirsten, Aug 1, 2017.

1. verykirsten

verykirsten Collector of Purple Things Staff Member Senior Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

I'm not really idle too often, usually I'm farming or mining if I don't have any projects that require my immediate attention at that moment. Lately it's been melon farming :p

2. Stormy

Stormy Alpaca Lord Staff Member Senior Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

I tell them what happened to the last dishwasher.

I hang out in main and skyblock. In skyblock, my barn. In main, usually in my storage, or if I'm looking for a view I'll sometimes hover above spawn (Mineworld or regular spawn)

3. Theo da Kaffei

Theo da Kaffei Sign Stacker Staff Member Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

"Please move this mountain."
    (It was in creative)

1. Actually yes, above Head Admin. Because then you literally work for Hank.
    2. Already answered
    3. Already answered, but here's a (in restrospect) funny/interesting server news related to it: Click Me!
    4. I'm sure we do...somewhere...
    5. Theoretically, Mods handle most of the ingame front-line issues, like moderating chat, tickets, answering questions etc; Admins do the technical stuff like bug reports, plugin selection/configuration/maintenance etc; and Senior Admins do the big-picture planning and such noble things.
    Practically speaking, all staff do the ticket/moderating things, there generally is only little plugin/technical stuff to do (most of the time things run and we don't switch all plugins every other day) and the big-picture things often involved the other staff as well and doesn't eat up 16 hours a day. There are a few things that come up fairly often and need an admin (like spawning in Base64 Player Heads), but for most other things all staff contribute according to ability, time, idea, willingness etc. on an even playing-field. Some take on many responsibilities, some less so and it changes regularly depending on IRL time availability etc.
    6. I currently only actually log in on the server every other or third day. However I am almost constantly on discord and keeping up-to-date there and several things happen in google docs or on the forums as well. With my 40-hour week I have maybe 4 hours a weekday free and so as a best guess I would say I spend maybe 12 hours a week actively on server things atm, not counting just reading discord.

I recently saw a screenshot that brought back memories of the nick "TashingThruTheSnow" of, ofc, Tash.

I'm working as a technical editor for a software company for tax/accounting software. I am an editor for their knowledge database where you go when you have an error code or need a manual.

As with most (all?) of the others I got picked. I was debating to apply but wasn't sure about the time committment and decided to try it out when I got asked. After I had learned how to swim, I picked the moderating life because it is such fun :D
    I love answering questions!
    I would like to have more variations of the existing stuff instead of just new stuff. glass stairs. the ability to put more stuff overhead or sideways.

Answering questions. Explaining Stuff. Getting that "Ehhh, huh....aaaaah!" effect from people.

By using 5 pieces of dishes/utensils per week max. total. No need to be scared there.
    Oh, also by not having a dishwasher :D

I tend to hang somewhere high in the sky looking down. Or stand in my storage basement, the only thing I have really put effort in on my plot :p (there is gurgeling water there. i like water)

4. CLyane

CLyane Teacher of Toddlers Lifetime V.I.P.

Because I can, I ask each of you...

THE TROLLEY PROBLEM!!

Suppose you are the driver of a trolley. The trolley rounds a bend, and there come into view ahead five track workers, who have been repairing the track. The track goes through a bit of a valley at that point, and the sides are steep, so you must stop the trolley if you are to avoid running the five people down. You step on the brakes, but alas they don't work. Now you suddenly see a spur of track leading off to the right. You can turn the trolley onto it, and thus save the five people on the straight track ahead. Unfortunately,...there is one track worker on that spur of track. They can no more get off the track in time than the five can, so you will kill them if you turn the trolley onto them. What do you do and why?

5. AnorakTheClever

AnorakTheClever Tree Puncher Staff Member Moderator

Interesting that this is the question since i was just recently watching a Star Trek: TNG episode discussing the same topic and I really wish i could give the same answer Picard did, "That such a problem can not be left up to arithmetic" and then he eventually found a solution which saved everyone's lives. However, the scenario you present has a ticking clock where there is no time to save everyone. No matter what happens, someone is going to die. Presumably the train has at least one other passenger besides myself, so even if destruction of the train before that junction were possible, it would be less desirable than either choice presented. As such, I would switch the tracks to minimize the loss of life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Nodred

Nodred Potato Taster Nerdfighter

Clayne I love you XD thanks for asking this

7. SquiggleTag

SquiggleTag YouBert's Pet Human Staff Member Moderator Lifetime V.I.P.

I would honk the horn as loud as i could, and keep trying the breaks.
    I'd also be on the emergency radio trying to contact someone at management to get help.

8. LuvianBlue

LuvianBlue Spider Matador Staff Member Moderator Lifetime V.I.P.

I put the trolley into reverse.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. TurnDownTheAC

TurnDownTheAC Cave Explorer Staff Member Moderator Lifetime V.I.P.

Just the kind of question I'm happy to answer. :) I would switch the track and save the five workers at the expense of the one. When there's no loophole I think you have to limit the number of people that get hit and accept/deal with the consequences.

10. tomsk31

tomsk31 Pig Jockey Lifetime V.I.P.

Couscous. Evil, or a blessing?

11. AnorakTheClever

AnorakTheClever Tree Puncher Staff Member Moderator

i probably would not eat it, but i dont consider it evil.

12. SquiggleTag

SquiggleTag YouBert's Pet Human Staff Member Moderator Lifetime V.I.P.

Tried it once. It was okay, but nothing special...

13. LadyAustin

LadyAustin Potato Taster Staff Member Moderator

I applied for staff in 2015 I think? And just sort of forgot about it and just played. September 19, 2016 I was hired! I was told to contact Jinx via discord and was terrified that I was in trouble.
    Also I too want more variations on slabs and stairs

14. LadyAustin

I love the true kindness of players toward each other. Yes, there's a reason we have jobs which is because not everyone remembers to be awesome all the time, but it always makes my heart smile at how kind everyone here truly strives to be.

15. LadyAustin

Using completely necessary force and a spoon

I like to idle in MOGAI headquarters and if in Skyblock, at my storage space.

16. LadyAustin

Go toward the one person. Turn my back so I don't have to see and continue along my way afterwards.