Ask the Staff 2.0!

Discussion in 'Player Advice & Discussions' started by verykirsten, Aug 1, 2017.

1. verykirsten

verykirsten Collector of Purple Things Staff Member Senior Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

Do you have a question about a ban or punishment? Please fill out a punishment appeal form here and we'll handle it~ Please do not ask questions of that nature in this thread, it's for fun!

Hello friends~ We thought it was a good idea to get this going again - since the last thread, we've had a lot of changes both in the staff and in the playerbase, so we thought it warranted a fresh start.

Some reminders from the first thread:

Your questions also don't necessarily have to be server-related (as long as it's not too personal), as you can see in the last thread, so ask away~

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. SquiggleTag

SquiggleTag YouBert's Pet Human Staff Member Moderator Lifetime V.I.P.

Who the eff is hank? :p

3. QuestionTues_FTW

QuestionTues_FTW Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

What's the most ludicrous modreq you've ever received?

4. LadyAustin

LadyAustin Potato Taster Staff Member Moderator

Hank is the jelly-like substance often found in delicious doughnuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. SquiggleTag

• Hank is a sandbox video game created and designed by a Swedish game designer.

• To be honest i don't think i've ever seen a modreq that was overly ludicrous...

6. verykirsten

verykirsten Collector of Purple Things Staff Member Senior Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

I once got several modreqs from a new player that we're just, "I need help." I asked them several times for more info and they never responded. Turned out they were just clicking on the "Need help?" Info messages every time it appeared and filling out modreqs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. LadyAustin

LadyAustin Potato Taster Staff Member Moderator

I once had a modreq for stealing and when I got there they had about six different things against the rules at their little base. While the modreq wasn't ludicrous the fact that they when asked knew that they were breaking the rules yet they wanted moderator help and were upset when I had to punish them

8. Kelsey

Kelsey Professional Blanket Burrito Staff Member Head Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

help this cow is looking at me funny

• Love it! Love it! x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. Mijna

Mijna Tree Puncher Lifetime V.I.P.

Is there a certain tier of staff where it transitions from volunteer to job?
    Where/Who actually hosts the server? (Is it squirreled away in Hank's basement with a VPN/Remote Desktop for admin access? That would be great fun!)
    Is it a physically owned server by someone or a hosted virtual server?
    Do we have any stats on the server hardware or network connection?
    What are the differences in responsibilities going from mods, to admins, to senior admins?
    About how much time is normally spent modding/adminning/senior adminning per week?

10. verykirsten

1) Nope, all tiers of staff are volunteer! But man, if this were paid, I would quit my day job so fast.
    2 and 3) The server is on a physical box, and it's not in Hank's basement, or anyone's basement :p
    4) I don't know if we have those.
    5) Mods focus on handling tickets and player issues, admins get into more technical stuff, and Senior Admins have specific roles and duties. For instance, as Sr Admin of Promotions, I handle the server's social media accounts - this can go from posting to answering questions and making sure the profiles are updated - and I manage/organize all of our server events. You can find more info on the wiki here :)
    6) This really depends on what needs to get done, or how much free time we happen to have to work on server things at that particular time. I used to be able to hop on every day, but not so much anymore. But time spent working on the server can also be difficult to quantify - for me in particular, I check server related things on a near constant basis, like the social media, the server-related discord channels, the forums, etc. Not all staff duties are necessarily handled server side.

11. SquiggleTag

i'll only answer the questions i left in the quote since i don't really have answers for the others you asked.

1) "I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!!" - Seriously though staff members on Nerdcrafteria are volunteers. However, if we could get paid to do this i think most of us would.

5) Apart from what Kirsten said previously, it all really depends on what projects you commit yourself to and how much time you're able to devote to things.

6) As volunteers there isn't really a strict timetable, and we typically put in as much time as we can manage given real life stuff, etc.

12. Kelsey

Kelsey Professional Blanket Burrito Staff Member Head Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

1. It's all volunteer.
    2. Our host provider is located in the wonderful country of Canada. No basements :D
    3. It's 2 physical boxes and a virtual server.
    4. For the physical boxes, we have 64GB of RAM and a 1GB network connection for each.
    5. Basically what Kirsten said. For myself, I have to be able to handle pretty much anything that comes up, but my day-to-day is delegating tasks out as needed. I'm the final word on many major decisions, so I have no one else to cover that aspect. A lot of it is done off the server and behind the scenes. I don't actually moderate much these days. ;)
    6. This is difficult to quantify because I check things frequently, even during vacation. :p But if I had to guess - about 15-20 hours of work a week.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Bfq2011

Bfq2011 Cave Explorer Nerdfighter

I'll bring this one back from the previous thread... favourite/funniest/more interesting nick or username you've seen?

14. verykirsten

EvilGnomeSausage has always been one of my favorite usernames!

15. Mijna

Mijna Tree Puncher Lifetime V.I.P.

Since there are two boxes does that mean each "world" (hub/nerdcrafteria/skyblock/creative/survival) lives on one box and the boxes are split 3/2 for hosting worlds? Or can a world be shared across the boxes and the virtual server handles splitting the load across the machines?

How do you even have a job? 168 hours in a week. 45 for day job (included lunch). 56 for sleep. 20 for Nerdcrafteria work. That leaves 47 hours for getting ready in the morning, breakfast, dinner, travel to and from work, chores, errands. Oh, and for fun...

On that note. What are the staff's day jobs?

16. SquiggleTag

• I'm currently unemployed, which is how i am able to spend every waking moment working on nerdcrafteria stuff :p

17. verykirsten

As for the main server, the different worlds are split across the two physical boxes, and Bungeecord is what allows them to talk to each other so they can all be connected to the same Minecraft server. At one time we had a forum thread that had a more in-depth explanation than that, but I'm unable to find it at the moment.

And yes, I do have a day job - and it's across town, so I'm gone for about 10 hours a day between working and my commute D:

I do email customer service - yes, those emails you send out in the "Contact Us" sections of websites are answered by a real person! I do also handle phone calls, but it's mostly emails. For all intents and purposes I work in a call center.

18. AnorakTheClever

AnorakTheClever Tree Puncher Staff Member Moderator

I am an indie game dev, and at this exact moment i am screaming at lines of code because they won't do what i want. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Stormy

Stormy Alpaca Lord Staff Member Senior Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

Honestly for me right now, I only work 20-30 hours a week so it isn't too bad. I get the chance to check discord and the forums during breaks or on my commute. Once I start my new job, it'll be a lot of checking on break. I live super close to where it's going to be so luckily commute won't be too much of an issue.

Fun? What's fun?

Currently, I work at a pick-your-own fruit farm doing general customer service, but in a couple of weeks I start at a customer service firm answering emails.

20. Kelsey

Yes, we use Bungeecord to connect everything. Right now, our FTB server and 2 server worlds are on one box and the rest (including Hub and Economy) are on the other box. VPS strictly handles the forums, mySQL, mail server things, etc.

I have a full-time job as well. Writing this on my lunch break ;) I work in IT doing Quality Assurance. (For those that don't know, it's testing all the software updates/bug fixes/new features from our dev team.)

I am very lucky to not have a long commute. I live in a city. I am also a single person living by myself with only my cat (the ultimate goal in life tbh), so it's not hard to find free time. I do have irl friends and a social life and take vacations. Sometimes the dishes pile up, but I don't blame that on the server :p

Punintenional still makes me facepalm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List